With last year being our first year, we did not get the program started until about November of the school year. We recruited some students who were already involved in our lunch clubs, and asked them to work with us on starting this club. From the beginning, we have had a student-centered approach: the name of the club, the slogan, the logo, and the mission statement were all created by club members. We also had the club members plan the activities they wanted to do for the year, and decide how we could include all students and recruit new members. The club decided we would meet 2x per month after school from 3-4:30. Some of the activities we did last year were
- a holiday party with a gift exchange
- a movie night (we watched Madagascar 2 the day it came out)
- video game night (we hooked up Wii's and Xbox's to different TVs and smartboards in the building)
- board game night (we had a variety of games, but played mostly Apples to Apples)
- Outdoor Games night (we played games like kickball, dead fish, ships and sailors... my 9+ years as a camp counselor really came into use that night!)
- Scrapbooking night (we had all sorts of scrapbook materials out, and printed pictures from all our events-- each kid made a few pages to put in our scrapbook)
See my next post for info about what we are doing this year!